How can you create and share a video? (updated 3/25/14)
Step 1. Creating your video
- Smartphone (iPhone, Android, iPod Touch, iPad, Android tablet )--If you have a newer device that has a camera facing each direction, open the Camera app, switch so that the camera is recording you. Record the video. It should be a .mov file. Make sure your video is one of the following formats: .wmv, .mov, .flv or mpeg4. If you have the Google Drive app installed on your phone, you can upload the file to Drive. Otherwise, send it to yourself an follow the instructions in Step 2 below.
- Computer WebCam --If you have a webcam on (or connected to) your computer, you can use iMovie (on a Mac) or Windows Movie Maker (on a PC), or WeVideo) to record directly from the webcam. Here’s how to do it on the school “minis”:
- Open Windows Movie Maker Click “Capture From Video Device” (under Capture Video). Click on the USB camera.
- Choose “Internal Microphone” under “Audio Device” and increase the input level (to about 80%). Click Next.
- Name your project. Click Next through the following screens until you get to “Start Capture.”
- Click “Start Capture” to begin recording.
- When you’re done, you will see your recording in Windows Movie Maker. Drag the clip onto the video timeline below. Edit, if necessary.
- Save as a movie (note- this is different than saving the project. Choose the option called “Save to My Computer”).
- If you’re using a Mac at home and you use iMovie, choose Export using Quicktime (Share Menu) to create a .mov file.
- Video Camera
- Record on the camera. Use iMovie (on a Mac), Windows Movie Maker (on a PC), or WeVideo (on the web) to edit. See MovieMaker and iMovie tips above (under computer webcam). Next step...uploading your movie
Step 2. Storing and Playing Video in Google DriveDid you know that you can upload any kind of file to Google Drive, including video? When you upload video, the video plays right in the browser, just like YouTube. This is a big advantage over having to download it. This video explains how to do it (and is also an example of what it looks like when done):
Here’s how to do it:
- See the previous page for how to record your video. ☞Make sure your video is one of the following formats: .wmv, .mov, .flv or mpeg4. Google accepts other types, as well, but these are the most common.
- Open your Google Drive and click on the Upload icon (next to Create). Choose “File,” browse for your video and upload. Note that the icon for the uploaded video file is different than other types of Google Docs.
- It will take a few minutes (sometimes longer) for your video to be processed. Once it is, you can click on the video and it will play right in the browser.
- Click “Share” ( on the upper right) and you can decide who can see the video: anyone at all, just specific people you name, or anyone who has the link. I usually go with “Anyone with the link,” as you can just post the link or send in an e-mail.
- When people watch your video, they won’t need to download it- instead, it will play in the browser, just like a YouTube video. iMovie- use the Share menu and choose “Quicktime” to save in mov or flv format. Movie Maker- choose “Save to My Computer” under “Finish Movie” (or “Save Movie File” in the File menu).